• AKD
    Yes, it did appear that way that the purpose was just to get around. In any case, I don't think he would have won but could have finished closer, never mind.

Bet #62 - 7:00 Pontefract - La Pulga, 50/50 win & 2 places (win @ 5/2, 2 places @ BSP)

Again not very confident despite the short price, that's why I have backed win & place. It's possible the price maybe a bit too short, it's difficult to be sure really. The reason I say that is, it looks short because he is stepping up in class under a penalty after his easy win at Hamilton on Friday, so he does need to prove he is up to this class. But then you look at his two main market rivals Cmon Kenny & Real Terms and neither of them have run above class 4. Only 3 of the 9 runners have won in class 3, one of them Glasses Up is on a losing run of 24 and running from out of the handicap here. Other two are Matchless & Zealandia, their wins in class 3 also came over a year ago. Ex-French Zealandia had a few problems last year so if there is a potential dark horse in the race, he could be it so I wouldn't rule him out. But he is his trainer Ian Williams' 2nd string, and his 2nd strings rarely win except at Chester, away from Chester record of his 2nd strings is 2 from 335.

So for above reasons, I am not too worried about class rise. Also, selection changed hands for £85,000 last autumn from Roger Charlton to Johnstons. Price tag suggests he may still have potential as he is only 4yo. Another expensive transfer during the autumn was Knight of Honour from Gosdens to Richard Fahey for £130,000. KoH actually finished 3 places ahead of La Pulga at Thirsk when they were both making their return, but LP was a big drifter that day and as he showed improvement to win last time I think he should turn that form around especially as nothing from the Fahey horse since then has suggested he is about to win.

La Pulga has 4 wins and 2 places from 14 runs, it's a good win & place strike rate, and with Joe Fanning also in form it is hoped he will run well. Fanning rode a treble at Hamilton on Friday including this horse, and a double at Beverley yesterday. He has 3 short priced runners for Johnstons tonight.

Johnstons record at this particular meeting is not that great but most have run well. Fanning/Johnston combination on this card is only 2 from 16 in last 5 seasons, with 8 more 2nd places, place only betting on those produced +50% ROI. 5 of the unplaced runs were in maidens/novices. 2 winners were both short priced favourites, 2 from 4 with favs. Their two runners in this race (the race has been run as class 2 in past) finished 2/4 & 2/6 at prices of 7/2 & 13/2.
  • malcolm
    Good luck AKD :up:
  • AKD
    Thanks Malcolm.

That was very unlucky, La Pulga somehow manages to lose the race, £874 traded @ 1.03, none of it was mine unfortunately. Only consolation is that having backed it for 2 places I got most of my stake back, place BSP was 1.98 so only a 0.02 pt loss on the race but still painful to come so close to winning.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.