• malcolm
    Hi folks - just a little insight for you to peruse over lol - it will be 42 yrs ago tomorrow that i first took up interest in horse racing (i was 31 at the time) - i had a couple of months previous taken over as club secretary at The Labour Club in the market town of Abergavenny in South Wales and my predecessor had for a number of years run a trip up to Newbury for the Lockinge Stakes and the members asked me if i'd carry on with the tradition - i knew nothing at all about horse racing as i never had an interest in it but i said yes i'll do it and decided to go along with 'em as they always called back to a social club in Newport for the evening
    One of my best mates at the club was well into the racing scene (but never went on group trips) and he gave me a horse to back in all bar 1 race and said that race is a nightmare, he gave me what he said was his Nap for the meeting a horse called Mighty Flutter he also said if i bump into my predecessor at the meeting (as he would definitely be there) and he gave me horse to back to do it as he by all accounts paid for his tips - i did bump into him and he gave me a horse in that Mighty Flutter race i need say no more other than Mighty Flutter won and i didnt back a winner all day doh and have been hooked on racing since that day

mal :up:
  • Ribot

Ah, all our yesterday's Malcolm. I got interested in racing by playing Totopoly when I was about ten years old. I believe I was fifteen when I had my first bet. My Dad used to put my bets on for me with the local bookies, and that was over fifty years ago. Happy, happy days!
  • stainless
    Nice memory. Malcolm.
    My wife through a friend bought me a quarter share in a racehorse for my 25th birthday. I was also into horses as a small boy due to my grandfather having a coal merchant and fruit and veg business. After we retired the gorgeous mare from racing, I bred three foals from her and she is now happily grazing in one of my paddocks today.
  • malcolm

Brilliant m8 fair play to you :up:
  • malcolm

Great stuff indeed :up:
  • Ribot

A lovely story, stainless.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.