• AKD
    3:00 Curragh - Listed Tetrarch Stakes

This race continues to serve as a good trial for the Irish 2000 Guineas even after being downgraded to Listed status, having provided 2 of the last 3 Guineas winners. 6 of today’s 10 runners hold an entry in the big race but I have backed one that doesn’t, FLASH GORDON (13/2) was very impressive in making a winning debut at Naas last time. Yes he had a favourable draw, but runner up Clashaniska was also drawn right next to him but selection beat him easily by 3 lengths, which is about the same distance Clashaniska had finished behind I Am Superman (who is the favourite today) on debut last season. Ok, Clashaniska is still a maiden but is pretty consistent and is rated 80, 5th (Zodiacus) & 6th (Opening Verse) who were both also making their debuts won their maidens next time, Zodiacus winning easily finishing over 5 lengths ahead of a 75-rated horse, Opening Verse winning in very similar time to other division of the race won by a 79-rated horse. All of this suggests to me that selection’s Naas win is pretty strong form. Having said that, he does still need to improve as this is Listed class, I think this extra furlong can see him make some improvement, one little worry I have is that Jessica Harrington’s are usually ready to go first time and they don’t always show huge improvement 2nd time, but hopefully this one can show enough. Harrington has had 2 runners in this race before, both had a bit more experience, Brother Bear (2018) placed 3rd @ 7/1 with a rating of 102, and Drumfad Bay (2017) placed 2nd @ 14/1 when rated 97, note the race was run at Naas last two seasons. The other once-raced unbeaten colt Shelir is the main danger in my view, form of his debut win is not as strong as the selection’s but he may have more improvement, and his trainer Dermot Weld has a very good record in this having won it 3 times in last 5 seasons (at prices of 10/1, 11/2 & 2/1), and he holds a Guineas entry too. Of others, the favourite I Am Superman (also entered in Guineas) comes here in great form having won two handicaps in impressive style but steps up in class now. Aidan O’Brien runs two, he used to run his top Guineas contenders in this but that hasn’t been the case for long time now, these days he tends to send his best ones to Newmarket before running at the Curragh. Last time he won this was with France in 2003, since then he has had 20 runners in this (12 of them priced under 5/1) without a win, so that is a pretty poor record (watch one of his win now just to prove me wrong lol)

I hope Flash Gordon can win but backed it each way as I think he has good chance of being in first 3 at least.

Good luck.
  • Mugz
    Trainer seems confident I AM SUPERMAN has the class to win this but you are only getting paid at 7/4 if hes right.
  • Dazzler
    Got 4-1 on I Am Superman last night and was told it was very good before it ran at all last year....proved expensive to follow....but kept the faith and has repaid in full and more this year! Hoping it can take the step up in his stride today!
  • AKD
    Yes the form of especially his last win is very good, it was a competitive handicap and he won it so easily, so yes he has a favourites chance. Obviously I hope mine can beat him but I wouldn’t mind a 2nd or 3rd either.
  • Archie
    Unlucky, got 3rd
  • AKD
    Happy enough with 3rd place @ 15/2, but gutted that once again it was the horse I had down as main danger wins. Even more frustrating that I had them in a reverse forecast and the outsider spoiled that right on the line.
  • Mugz
    Ran a decent race and you got a profit.

:clap:
  • AKD
    Thanks guys.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Best of the Bets forum

Welcome to Best of the Bets forum, a community of liked minded punters with an interest in horse racing and sports betting.